Thursday, 24 September 2026

Facile, Free and Future Friendly

 Tonight I am speaking with members of The Society for Australian Genealogists One Place Focus Group about the CareyBay2283 study. I was going to prepare a Powerpoint presentation but, on reflection, decided to record my thoughts in a blog post.

Once I made the decision to go ahead with a study I needed to make decisions about the tools I would use to Collect, Discover, Record, Organise, Share and Preserve my findings. As is my usual practice I used the Research Process (kindly drawn up for me by ChatGPT) to seek out appropriate tools.

I wanted a platform that was :

Facile - easily accomplished

Free – accessible to all interested parties

Future Friendly  – likely to outlast the author

I decided on four core tools:

Blogger           website and blogging

FindaGrave    virtual cemetery

RootsMagic    working database of people and places 

WikiTree        verified  open access  database

To support my goals I use several other tools :

ACDSee                        file management

Bluesky                        communication and promotion

ChatGPT                     clerical tasks, editing, image creation

Excel/Google Sheets   organisation, tracking, data manipulation

Facebook                    communication and promotion

Internet Archive         preservation

Resource Folder         file repository

During the session I will further explain how the tools above work together and separately in each stage of the research process.


Other studies using Blogging Platforms as a home for their studies:


Aldbourne, Wiltshire                          aldbournearchive.wordpress.com/

Murphys Creek, Queensland              http://cassmob.wordpress.com/

Pately Bridge, Yorkshire                    https://pateleybridgeops.wordpress.com/

The Rank, North Bradley, Wiltshire  https://theranknorthbradley.com/

Sorrell, Tasmania                               https://sorell200.edublogs.org/

Stockton, NSW                                  https://stocktonnsw.blogspot.com/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
I would especially like to hear from people with connections to or information about Carey Bay